Trust company: a tool to support companies
The trust companies still represent an “option” little known by the companies – perhaps because the same consultants of the companies ignore the real potential, not knowing enough about the tool. Result: we run the risk of not using an institution, the fiduciary shop, which in many situations can be of great help to businesses. It is, it must be said, a legitimate “option”, absolutely not aimed at concealing unlawful behavior (as those who do not know the tool commonly think), but aimed, instead, at protecting the right to privacy, in full compliance with tax regulations, penalty, and anti-money laundering.
Let’s take a step back and see what the trust companies are at
Therefore, the purpose of the trust companies is to manage assets on behalf of third parties. But which assets can be subject to fiduciary registration? Below is a summary list of administrable assets: shareholdings in corporations, works of art, securities and financial products, insurance, third-party assets on deposit/guarantee, credits, current accounts, real estate.
It should be noted that the trust company can administer the assets either directly or through a mandate to administer without direct registration – a type of contract created to be able to “shield” the properties abroad.
With regard to the objectives achievable through the use of a trust company, we summarize some of them with the help of some practical examples.
1. Commercial confidentiality in the header of investments
In the event that an entrepreneur, who already works in a specific sector, wants to operate with a different brand (for example, to practice a different price policy aimed at conquering a new customer target ), it seems appropriate to start the new business activity by “shielding ”The company participation with a trust company.
2. Generational transfer
In view of a gradual transfer of the holdings of a holding company from the founder to the heirs, the founder could put his participation (an underlying underlying trustor) under a fiduciary mandate and then gradually transfer part of the shares to the heirs “internally in office”, upon the occurrence of certain and pre-established conditions (more trustworthy underlying the mandate). Outside it would always appear only a participation in the name of a trust company which, in addition to guaranteeing the possibility of voting rights for the founder, would also guarantee the ascertainment of the conditions established by the founder for the heirs for subsequent transfers.
3. Anonymity for the management of delicate negotiations
In the course of a business negotiation for the acquisition of a company, an entrepreneur, operating in competition with respect to the transferring property, may wish not to outsource his name to the seller. This is to avoid disruption in the negotiation (we think not only of the price but also of other conditions).
4. Guarantee for the execution of shareholders’ agreements
During the sale of a minority interest, the transferring shareholder – who will maintain a controlling interest in the company – intends to have a counterparty shareholder agreement signed to govern certain aspects of future governance. In order to achieve a gradual transfer of the predetermined shareholding to the incoming shareholder and to enforce the shareholders’ agreements, he signs the investment subject to sale to a trust company (whose grantor will initially be the only transferring shareholder). Subsequently, the various transfers will be made to the purchaser “internally” – on the outside, the trust company would continue to appear solely as a partner.
5. Guarantee of business continuity
In the process of setting up a company between two partners (in which equal shareholdings are desired), we opt for a 4% stake in a trust company (with the same partners in trustees), leaving the remaining 96% to the two partners. This makes it possible to establish now by then – in the hypothesis of future disagreements and in certain matters (think of the approval of the company financial statements) – that it will be the trust company to take certain decisions based on indications set by the shareholders at a time, the current one, in which there are no differences between entrepreneurs.
6. Exploit the system of administered savings
In holding various assets (corporate equity investments, real estate, securities files) in Italy and abroad, an entrepreneur intends to make use of the system of administered savings which allows him an optimal fiscal management, managed anonymously by the trust company, with an optimization also in terms of declaration of data to the Treasury (think, for example, of the fact that assets held abroad through trust companies are considered to all effects as values held in Italy, with exemption from completing the Rw framework).